[AccessD] Conversion tools to mysql

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 14:31:54 CST 2014

JC,

As I wrote in a previous message, moving the data is trivial, but moving
the sprocs is more complex due to differences in syntax. In general, the
MySQL and MariaDb syntax most closely resembles Oracle syntax. A trivial
example is the CREATE PROCEDURE syntax. In MS-SQL, you have to anticipate
the existence of said sproc X using an IF EXISTS block. This is not
required in MySQL or MariaDb. Instead you check its existence in the first
statement, either creating it or updating it.

Beyond the trivia, there are many other differences. My and Maria do not
support table variables (which lack has caused me problems; I should have
known better than to invest in vendor-specific code).

That said, the basics remain the same. IN() works as expected in all
implementations, as does JOIN (although there are syntactic variations, but
they are easily found and corrected).

I'm sick with envy for your 96GB hardware, not that I have any clients with
a need for it, but nonetheless, wow. I feel so inadequate with a mere 8GB
on my laptop.

As to your immediate question (SQL Server to MySQL) I suggest a look at the
Import/Export Wizard, which can be accessed in several ways (SSMS,
Start/SQL Server/Data Tools/Import|Export, and one other which currently
slips my mind).

Arthur

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 3:16 PM, John Colby <jwcolby at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone personally recommend conversion tools for moving entire sequel
> Server databases to MySQL.

Arthur