[AccessD] Feeding Data into Access from Hundreds of Excel Files with no Common Definition

Dan Waters df.waters at comcast.net
Wed Feb 26 15:13:40 CST 2014

Hi Brad,

Actually, this is what a company website - yours - would be ideal for.  But
I'm sure you've suggested this and the price to get it done is a challenge.

My suggestion is that you develop an Customer Order Entry Access database
that all your customers can use to create their order (they each get their
own copy).  This should be set up so that they only use the forms to input
their information.  Because, in the end, you collect the same information
from all your customers anyway, there must be a common definition of what
information you need.  Once they enter the information into your Customer
Order database, they can push the Send button to send you an excel file, and
you can directly import that file into your database.  They can also save
their own copy of the Excel file for their records.

Your design might need to incorporate some configurability for data
differences among your customers.

A caveat is when you send them an updated Customer Order Entry database,
that the data in the previous one will not be included.  It's just a tool
for easy and accurate data entry.

Hope this helps!
Dan