[AccessD] Ramblings of a nutcase

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 19:33:42 CST 2014

OK Gustav, Here is what I am reading:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/use-the-taskbar

Nowhere does it mention the functionality that I mention.

1) Always combine, hide label.  NOT what I am doing
2) Combine when taskbar is full.  NOT what I am doing.
3) Never combine.  Not what I am doing.

So...

The following is what I currently see when I hover over the chrome Icon.  I can simply hover and
click on "Apple warns" and that copy of Chrome comes to the front.

Does your task bar work that way?  Can you make it work that way? If not, WHY NOT?  It is the way I
do business.

Can you hover over and get context sensitive menus from which you can select things?  Can you do so
without the mouse (obviously not)?  If not why not?  This is basic power user functionality.  I
learned to do this stuff years ago.  It is highly useful stuff. Are we throwing all that away so
that we can pinch and zoom? Why?  Is this "least common denominator"?

Open the metro equivalent of the calculator.  Does it fill the whole screen?  WHY???  Is my entire
23" screen really required for the calculator?  I am old but I don't need a calculator that big to
be able to see it.  Open the metro equivalent of the sticky notes.  Does it fill the whole screen?
Why?  I am just jotting down a phone number.    Is this "everything will fill the whole screen"
REALLY a good idea???

It feels like 1/2 of the world has drunk the koolade, and is chasing me around trying to get me to
drink it as well.

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it