[AccessD] Ramblings of a nutcase

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 27 23:34:36 CST 2014

Hi All:

The truth of the matter is that OS FEs are history. Anyone with a little bit of effort can make own front end via the browser; HTML, CSS, JavaScripts, libraries and so on. If you are so inclined the browser interface could be made to look like a Windows8.x or any other interface...It is all limited by your imagination.

Companies like Save-On-Foods, Rona and Walmart just run a browser front end to their invoicing applications (cashiers work stations). They could be setup for any type of application, whether it is just a single station, a network or a full or partial internet set of apps. It is great when the systems support guy can broadcast an application to any station on the network and can change the UI depending on any policy deemed appropriate per group or per individual.

This concept can be made to over-ride the standard licensing of per station or per of user and that is why there is so much blow-back to this type of implementation. Also there is no limits on the type of applications and what OS that can be run...as long as there is an full-link whether UNC or HTML...the applications and data can be stored locally, anywhere on the network, anywhere on the internet or in the Cloud (local or remote) (...and of course whether your station is physically capable of performing the task).

All a station needs is to have is the ability to connect via a variety of standard protocols.

In summary, our new powerful browsers are in the process of making our desktops irrelevant, IMHO.

Aside: Some ambitious soul could build a Windows8.x interface and fix it. ;-)

Jim