[AccessD] Ramblings of a nutcase

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 28 22:04:32 CST 2014

Hi John:

<rant mode on>
My belief is that the major companies are the entities that are really trying to kill off the PC.

The new remote Cloud, internet and an OS which is tightly integrated to the web is much easier to monetize and really who wants a user to just install one OS or application on the desktop and sit on it for years and years?...a company could go broke waiting for a customer to finally decide to upgrade. The rental model is much better because if a tenant doesn't keep paying, you just throw them out, turn them off and it wouldn't be long before they come crawling back. Personally, I do not believe a company could be quite as ruthless as that but as the old saying goes, "When you have someone by the short-hairs it is not long before their heart and mind follows". ...and all the citizens would then be chanting Windows 8 is good, Windows 8 is great. ;-)

Too bad Linux was not wiped out in 1995 or none of the users or developers would have an escape route.
<rant mode off>

IMHO, There is two groups of users out there. The Consumers and the Providers. Considering that providers are only about fifteen percent of the market, mostly are big companies and there is this huge push to get as many OS and application renters as possible...as this is where the money is. The question has to be asked, should the focus be towards providers? Providers like blog writers, developers, systems people and designers, for the most part they can make it on their own and always have so until the consumers have migrated to the new platforms, they will just have to wait. The trouble is that even though the consumer market, is basically stupid and very easy to scare into upgrading, like a good lawyers, in most cases, the Providers are standing in the way and saying, "Don't worry Microsoft will adapt eventually."...or as some wish just disappear altogether.

So we all park at Windows 7 and wait for Microsoft to decide where the company goes next. We have created a nice  symmetry, in that, for the exception of "the true believers", the Providers, that don't count, are holding back the wholesale adoption by the Consumers, by providing luke warm support at best and absolute disdain at worse.

Jim