[AccessD] Problem of a listbox's response on network... Part 1

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 25 01:40:10 CST 2014

Hi Mark:

It does depend on where your program is pulling data.

There is no substitute for speed when a local DAO connection is pulling and displaying a single record or small group of records from a local MDB database but have a DAO connection download 15K of records from a remote server and fill a table with the results...

An ADO connection can do that in one to two seconds. It is like comparing a sports car to an 8 wheel semi, when it comes to moving data.

In addition, shut down the central MDB database a few times through out the day and you would be lucky not to corrupt your database. ADO type connections expect delays...rebooted a MS SQL and when it restarted the ADO data stream continued processing.

There are trade offs for sure; DAO is great for small 2 to a 50 maximum number users, in stable environments but if you are using industrial sized data, ADO is the only way to go.

Jim