[AccessD] Problem of a listbox's response on network... Part 1

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Jan 25 08:57:23 CST 2014

Hi Jim

I'm working on a large project using A2010 and SQL Server 2008 R2 as backend with ODBC connection.
Recalling previous discussion about some "magic" of ADO, I tried to run some queries using an ADO connection but couldn't see any trend towards better speed so we left it there.

Where we get into trouble with ODBC we use pass-through queries.

/gustav

>>> accessd at shaw.ca 25-01-14 8:40 >>>
Hi Mark:

It does depend on where your program is pulling data.

There is no substitute for speed when a local DAO connection is pulling and displaying a single record or small group of records from a local MDB database but have a DAO connection download 15K of records from a remote server and fill a table with the results...

An ADO connection can do that in one to two seconds. It is like comparing a sports car to an 8 wheel semi, when it comes to moving data.

In addition, shut down the central MDB database a few times through out the day and you would be lucky not to corrupt your database. ADO type connections expect delays...rebooted a MS SQL and when it restarted the ADO data stream continued processing.

There are trade offs for sure; DAO is great for small 2 to a 50 maximum number users, in stable environments but if you are using industrial sized data, ADO is the only way to go.

Jim