[AccessD] Problem of a listbox's response on network... Part 1

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 12:07:27 CST 2014

I tried using ADO from Access to perform my SQL Server automation.  It worked but because of Access'
single threading, when the query was running on SQL Server, the Access UI locked up tight.  Some of
my queries take minutes or even hours.  Even though I was the only user, having the UI lock up like
that left me wondering if the query was out to lunch or in fact ever going to finish.

I ended up moving to C# for that application, with threads and all that.  For that application, I
was so much happier.  That does not address a user oriented form type application however.

At IBM I revisited ADO 'disconnected recordset' bound forms and controls and was quite happy with
the results.

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it