[AccessD] Somewhat OT: Satya Nadella's memo. Starting FY15 - Bold Ambition & Our Core

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Mon Jul 14 18:19:03 CDT 2014

I strongly concur here with Mark.  Each individual Office app has it's own quirks and inconsistencies with the object model and syntax.  It is clear that they were designed and built by separate dev teams and didn't have a clear and standard way of doing things.  Given the separate and organic nature of the Office suite of apps in their early days this is both understandable and forgivable.  Indeed they all had separate lives before they got 'bundled' in the 'MS Office' branding/suite.

However, the primary reason I use and recommend MS Office over all the 'Office' style wannabees is solely down to the power of VBA to automate the apps (both internally and between each other - say SQL Server to MS Access, MS Access to Excel etc).  Without this ability I may as well save the cash and use an inferior, but adequate and wholesomely cheaper alternative.  VBA *IS* what adds the value to MS Office for me.

As you say, I can understand if VBA is not up to the task of cloud computing requirement and security, but why not implement VB.NET or javascript or something??

Cheers
Darryl.