[AccessD] Somewhat OT: Satya Nadella's memo. Starting FY15 - Bold Ambition & Our Core

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Mon Jul 14 18:52:49 CDT 2014

" But dammit, if you have had many years to fix something, why the heck not fix it, that is unforgivable and beyond me"

All good points Bill.  Regarding the quote above.  I suspect a huge part of the issue is that MS (like most companies) will focus on keeping most of their users happy with minimal return (and why not).  What the masses wanted was an additional 16 Gazillion colours to go on their expanded pie charts, merged cells and other highly visible and colourful fluff.

In a lot of places 'style' rules over 'substance' or even function.

The other Problem is there is bugger all advantage / kudos to MS for fixing any obscure VBA inconsistencies that most users don't even know about (and risking screwing up something else significant).  I guess they figure that any developer smart enough to find these issues is also smart enough to work around them, or so entrenched in MS VBA that the occasional SNAFU is expected and will not drive them to another product.

In short, The risk / reward / return ratios don't add up for MS to go ahead and fix up those lingering issues.

Much better to add more colours and pictures - aaaah, and just look at those new 45 different Pie Charts!  ;)

Cheers
Darryl.