[AccessD] And this just in...

Doug Steele dbdoug at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 21:49:03 CST 2014

I'm just throwing this out as an observation, but in my 20+ years of
computing, I've never actually encountered a computer running Unix/Linux
(other than during the one day course I took on it about 15 years ago :) ).

The one (world class) research lab I know about uses Macs.

The multinational company I've done Access dbs for is Microsoft all the way.

The mining/engineering company I worked for went from IBM System 3 to
Windows. The requirements they have for Excel processing and Autocad make
Windows compulsory.  If you have Windows requirements like they do, going
to Linux/Wine just makes one more expensive layer; the cost for support
personnel is probably an order of magnitude higher than the savings on
software.

Your mileage obviously varies!

Doug