[AccessD] What Activities Should Maintenance Fees Cover?

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Mar 2 08:57:50 CST 2014

Basic activity considerations start with more what is out rather than what is
in:

Ad-hoc telephone support - including user advice, support/training.
Site visits to deal with matters as above where you were called and asked to fix
____.
Sorting out problems caused by client staff doing inappropriate things to the
facility.

Testing and user acceptance of the modified facility.

PII - again raised it's expensive (over)head.

Working with 'fixes' to the OS and associated environment.
Working with new versions of the OS.
Working within the requirements of new legislation.

Working with new versions of the underlying apps (Access etc.).
(consider the changes needed going from desktop Access 2003 to 2007, 2010, 2013
& 365 working online wirelessly from tablets & phones)

Working with changes to the clients IT setup (moving from desktop to in-house
server to cloud.

Small enhancements requested by the client (e.g. new input process for data feed
or user interaction).

And is the contract for the client (who may cease to trade under that id), or
for a transferrable installation?

Substantial enhancements such as the company going corporate multi-company and
multinational (multi-currency and multitime-zone).

JimB