[AccessD] Office shortcuts (was: Ramblings of a nutcase)

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 4 12:25:44 CST 2014

Gustav:  I haven't really been lurking as I've rarely read anything posted to this list.  I never did unsubscribe though.  You are right about the insert shortcut.  It works for Excel 2010 and 2013.  I could have sworn it didn't.  In fact, I did swear a lot.

I'd been managing safety for the construction company I've been with since 2006 and hired my younger brother in 2010 to take over the Access development I was involved with when I was first joined the list.

We are now splitting from the parent company and their former security obsession that had hindered our software independence.  The result is a new safety manager is in place and I've been back in the IT world since mid December.  We plan to go live with a completely new infrastructure as soon as the parent allows the split.  They have been involved in a multi-million dollar SAP implementation for their 3 billion dollar annual volume business and we have been implementing an integrated software package that interfaces with our estimating system to take over payroll, accounting, purchasing and accounts payable by April 1.  No irony in that date, but realistically, we won't be allowed to leave until they can get some meaningful data out of SAP.  They don't currently have the resources to make that happen nor have they been able to get meaningful and accurate reporting that meet our needs.  We'll be lucky if we can go our separate ways by May.  Chances are, we'll take a best guess, saw off the projects that are active on a given date and then make adjustments when they figure out their end.

We've cut our business to 5 offices in western Canada with 50 users supporting about 300 field workers today.  We will be using Office 365 in a cloud deployment and will be colocating in a data center.  Figuring out the Microsoft licensing for the cores on SQL Server, client access licensing, terminals, exchange, software assurance (or not) has been challenging but it's all coming together.  Infiniband, SSDs and spinning disks, back up power, inter connectivity, an office without fibre, new phone systems.

Once we're up, then it's work on Sharepoint and connect our exisiting MS Access system to our new software, implement a Sharepoint environment, build a web interface for field entry of time, purchasing and cost coding, and then lastly, move our MS Access system into dot Net.  Exciting times.

Ciao

Jürgen Welz

Edmonton, Alberta

jwelz at hotmail.com