[AccessD] Windows 8

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 12:21:58 CST 2014

Cool!!!

Now get rid of the panes and give me back sizable Windows and I am there.  And of course a REAL
start button with the start menu interface.  AND make sure that nothing I do ever yanks me back to
the "modern" interface without my actually hitting a NEW hotkey (not something mapped over a hotkey
used in the past for something else) or click a specific button.

Oh yea, an easy and understandable way to shut apps down when I am done with them.  Like maybe a bar
at the top with a little X, which closes the window when clicked.  "Keep everything open that you
ever used since you rebooted last" is just a nonsensical thing to do on a desktop.

Hmmmm sounds like Windows 7?  OK, so give me Windows 7 in "Desktop mode".

And... I need to ensure that those "live tiles" are not constantly pulling data over my cell phone,
since I use my cell phone as my WiFi.  Constant crap being pulled into "Live Tiles" sounds like a
constantly escalating phone data bill to me.  Verizon will love it, I will not.  So Live tiles ONLY
LIVE when I am actually looking at them.  And maybe not even then.

    cur·mud·geon

/noun/\(?)k?r-?m?-j?n\

: a person (especially an old man) who is easily annoyed or angered and who often complains

Hmmmm... OK.

And here I thought I was just a Windows 7 Fanboi.

John W. Colby
Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it

On 3/4/2014 12:47 PM, John Bartow wrote:
> Here's a very brief explanation of how to use Windows 8 for the stuck in the
> mud curmudgeons among us:
>   http://watchmojo.com/video/id/11365/

---