[AccessD] Windows 8

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 13:43:18 CST 2014

OK, this explains the pains...

      15. Run two apps side by side

Modern UI apps are what Microsoft calls 'immersive' applications, which basically means they run
full-screen - but there are ways to view up to four at once.

On Windows 8, swipe from the left and the last app you were using will turn into a thumbnail; drop
this, and one app displays in a sidebar pane while your current app takes the rest of the screen.
And you can then swap these by swiping again.

Windows 8.1 expands on this and can display up to four apps simultaneously, if you've enough screen
space. Move your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, and when it changes to a hand icon, drag and
drop your app to the left or right. Once you've moved it enough, a dividing line will appear, you
can drop the app, and it'll appear in just that part of the screen. Use the bar between your apps to
resize their window widths, or if you need to make one full-screen again.

It doesn't explain why we need something like the calculator to be the full screen.  "Immersive"?
It's a damned calculator.  It is, by design, supposed to hover over the top of whatever I need to
look at as I key numbers into it.  The same with a spreadsheet (for example).  I cannot tell you how
often I have adjusted the size of a spreadsheet such that I could look at something else as I key
numbers into the spreadsheet.  But now... they are "Immersive" and WILL BE FULL SCREEN.

And Microsoft WILL BE IDIOTS, and Pains 8x WILL BE IMMERSIVE, and WILL BE IN YOUR FACE.  And we will
be reduced to the lowest common denominator and look exactly like your Pains 8x phone.  Notice that
I said YOUR because I will not ever have such a beast, nor a Pains 8x tablet.  As it happens,
Android works fine for these things for me.

So do we think full windowing is ever coming back?  I do not.

Now...

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it