[AccessD] VB.net data bound form problem

Paul Hartland paul.hartland at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 12 13:23:58 CDT 2014

To all,

Sorry to the Access group for the OT but I do not seem to be getting any
response from the visual basic list.  I am what I call a developer dinosaur
I know VBA and VB6, keep trying to learn VB.net and C#, but always get
sidetracked, however after going on a three day introduction course for
ASP.net MVC development using VB.net has got me interested again.  I have
SQL Server 2012 Express and Visual Studio 2012 Express installed, I created
a new blank database and as I am just messing about imported the Customers
table from the Northwind sample, I then opened a new Visual Basic project,
kept the form as Form1 and added a datasource and dataset
called TestDataSet, I then dragged the CustomerID field onto the form and
it appeared along with a binding navigator at the top of the form, without
me doing anything the code behind the form looks like this

Public Class Form1

    Private Sub CustomersBindingNavigatorSaveItem_Click(sender As Object, e
As EventArgs) Handles CustomersBindingNavigatorSaveItem.Click
        Me.Validate()
        Me.CustomersBindingSource.EndEdit()
        Me.TableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(Me.TestDataSet)
    End Sub

    Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles
MyBase.Load
        'TODO: This line of code loads data into the
'TestDataSet.Customers' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
        Me.CustomersTableAdapter.Fill(Me.TestDataSet)

    End Sub
End Class

So I started up the application and could flick through all the ID's using
the navigation buttons, however if I try to change an ID then click the
save icon on the binding navigator I get the following error:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred
in Northwind.exe

Additional information: Update requires a valid UpdateCommand when passed
DataRow collection with modified rows.

and the line of code Me.TableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(Me.TestDataSet) is
highlighted, I assumed that as the binding navigator was working the save
would too.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong and/or point me in the right direction to
do this a better way.

Many thanks in advance for any help on this.

Kind Regards,

Paul

--
Paul Hartland