[AccessD] Smokin deal on SSD

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 13:36:20 CDT 2014

Well Bill think of it this way.

1) Each area can only be written to X times (about 3000 in fact)
2) I have a spreadsheet which has only been written to once (when it was stored initially)  That
area can be written to 2999 more times.
3) I have a database area that has been written to 2500 times.  It can still hold data but is
approaching the end of it's useful life.

What would YOU do?

If you don't move the database area, then in 500 more writes it will fail to correctly store and you
will lose data.

Ohhh.. wait a minute, I happen to have a block over here which was written a year ago, exactly one
time.  Hmmm... if I were to swap those two blocks then the database can continue to be written to.
The spreadsheet is still safe, and it is NEVER written to.  The database is still safe and can
continue to be written to.

SSDs have a fundamental "problem" that any given NAND block can only be written to X times.  You
have to do SOMETHING to "level" the wear evenly across the disk or you will very quickly completely
destroy some areas and leave others entirely unused.

When I say destroy I mean unable to hold anything at all.  Notice that when I swapped the
spreadsheet and the db, the spreadsheet was perfectly safe in the new location.  So we prevented
"destroying" that storage location by selecting something that wouldn't be written again and storing
that in there.

So you are correct you ARE wearing down ALL of your locations - EVENLY.  It is in fact possible to
completely destroy an SSD disk.  If there are no "static" files, files which are not updated, if
EVERY file is written over and over and over (3000 times) then EVERY location will be written until
it simply is unable to hold data.

The articles I posted links to explain all this stuff.

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it

On 3/13/2014 2:04 PM, Bill Benson wrote:
> To me this sounds STUPID. Not stupidly Described, but stupidly contrived.
> Therefore since people are making and spending scored of Billions on it,
> CLEARLY I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT.
>
> It sounds like this:  I know disk areas are getting worn down so I will
> just wear down ALL my areas. LOL+LOL to the Google power.

---