[AccessD] Link to back end that has ODBC links

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 14:22:41 CDT 2014

Dear Group,

Long time...

My wife, Janet, is doing Access 2007 work for a company in Manitowoc, WI.
She commutes once or twice a week, but is able to work from home otherwise
(it's about 40-45 miles away).

The company has an AS400 and their Access databases link to the AS400
tables via ODBC. Up to now, their Access apps have all been stored on
servers without being separated into FE/BE. Janet is beginning the process
of splitting the databases.

One big question, though: If an Access database has ODBC links to AS400
tables and she splits that database into front end and back end, will the
new front end be able to use the AS400 tables via the back end? Or does
each front end have to link to the ODBC tables separately and only link to
the Access tables in the back end?

I couldn't remember what was required, so I thought I'd ask y'all.

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI