[AccessD] New Database Table - How to Proceed

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Mon Mar 24 16:15:33 CDT 2014

All,

I have a question, but first I need to explain a little background.

I work for a small manufacturing firm.  The IT budget is VERY limited.

We have a purchased Accounting system that uses a Pervasive Database.

We have a purchased Manufacturing system that uses a Firebird Database.

We have a Website that is maintained by an outside party.  The website
is hosted by GoDaddy.  It uses a Microsoft SQL Server database.

Because all three of these databases are accessible via ODBC, I have
been able to use Access 2007 to build several inquiry and reporting
systems.  Access works great for this purpose.

Currently, updates are only permitted "through the front door" of these
three systems using the screens/pages that are provided.  No updates via
ODBC are permitted.

We do not have any "in house" database that can be used for updates
other than Access 2007.

Recently I have starting working on a new project (using Access 2007) to
streamline our internal order processing.   In order to do this, I will
need a new database with one table.  Because of the size of the firm,
the number of orders is quite small, therefore the number of updates to
the new table will be quite small.

When this new application goes live, there will be three users who will
need to make a total of about 40 updates per day to this new table.  In
addition, there will be an Access 2007 batch application which will be
run two times per week.  This application will make approximately 100
database updates/additions each time it is run.

Originally I was planning to use an Access 2007 (Split Back-end)
database for this application.

Currently, no "Critical Business Data" is stored in any Access Database.

I was also thinking about storing this new table in the Web Database
(SQL-Server on GoDaddy), but our Web Consultant has vetoed this idea.

He also strongly recommends that we do not store the data in Access.  He
recommends that we use MySQL.

So, here are the options that currently come to mind.

Microsoft Access 2007 (Split Back-end) - Despite what our Web Consultant
says.

MySQL  - or one of its Forks (I have no experience with MySQL)

Local Install of Microsoft SQL Server (I have concern about the price
tag and the amount of work - seems like a large overkill for just one
table)

Microsoft SQL Server (via a paid Hosted service - we have no experience
with this approach)

Given all of this as background, which approach would be best?

Other options ?

Everyone here on AccessD has more experience than I do in this realm and
I value your ideas and insights.

Thanks,
Brad