[AccessD] Disconnected records - was Re: Unbound Form Check For Changes

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 09:27:59 CDT 2014

<<records should never be deleted and should
<<only be toggled/flagged active or inactive.

I know the toggle /flag suffices usually but I like knowing WHEN a record
became inactive (or got reactivated).  Since there is enough info in these
date fields to infer whether a record is active, I eliminated the IsActive
flag.

I started using Last Made Active Date and Last Made Inactive Date fields in
entity tables. To determine if a record is active it has to satisfy this

If Nz (LMID,#1/1/1900#) < LMAD. The LMAD can work as a CREATE date, if
willing to let that be overridden upon reactivation. I chose to have both
LMAD and a Create date. Can't have too many dates, I had none in high
school.

I don't know whether that test for active records slows down the database
but it never seemed to make a difference in systems I was working on.

I think another option would be logging tables, but I was not that
interested nor was the client, we were building a prototype.