[AccessD] To the Cloud or Not to the Cloud. that is the Question

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Mar 27 16:53:12 CDT 2014

Hi Brad

Your observation is correct. The Azure setup and the speed at which it evolves is impressive and proves to me the old saying "don't ever underestimate Microsoft".
Because Microsoft didn't invent this, the "cloud". Amazon did that. But having seen the light, there's no doubt that massive resources have been allocated this infrastructure and the support it needs beyond establishing the large and reliable data centers: Easy administration targeted admins at enterprises, scalability not possible with in-house hardware, programming interfaces, and - perhaps the most important part - the integration to ... well, everything you can think of.

One of our clients has asked for a customized document store and flow control. Problem is that this is a TV production company were all except accounting use Macs, and the network setup is handled by various Mac "techies" (you guessed it, it's a mess) so setting up a server in this environment is perhaps not then at least the last option.

So, seriously, I consider storing all data at Azure. JC is right, that internet connection reliabilty and speed is a valid concern, but clients like these have fiber connections at 100+ Mb/s. It will work. Deciding to do so will, first, take very little to create the development environment and, second, deployment will be close to just "flip a switch". Add to this the establishing cost of zero money and ongoing costs that without in-house techies are impossible to match.

Still, I believe, we will arrange for an off-line backup of all data - just in case.

/gustav