[AccessD] To the Cloud or Not to the Cloud. that is the Question

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 17:17:56 CDT 2014

I have no experience with the cloud and perhaps in less open minded circles
this negates the value of my opinion. But never this group, for which I am
grateful. I would weigh the possibility of a web service outage which you
are unlikely to have any control over, against the very much more expensive
redundant hardware bases you will have to cover to even touch the
reliability of the web.

The option to have the data available and accessible where and when you
need it seems to be a no - brainer in favor of a web platform from a
reliable cloud operation. And unless you are running heaps of insertions
with huge datasets, I have little doubt you will be that unhappy with the
performance. This is, if you are satisfied with MS as a development
platform.

I do have to ask, have you looked into portability / migration if the tool
proves unsatisfactory in the long term? Can you ask MS for a data pump
version of your database or would you just have to turn it off and walk
away, subject to a few exports of tables, but leave all your development
behind? (Not that things would be all that different necessarily with an
Oracle or SQL Server application either but I do think with those you can
export the schema, no?)

I am sure if you don't get your feet wet trying a web service database it
will be a mark against you career wise so why not use the current need to
be able to say been there done that on someone else's dime. It comes well
supported and at least fairly well recommended, do you have that much to
lose?

I wish the future was nit web development because I am so uninitiated in
it, wish I had an employer asking me to test out the platform Mark, I would
say go for it.