[AccessD] To the Cloud or Not to the Cloud. that is the Question

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 18:15:39 CDT 2014

 From 1975-1978 I maintained the computer system that ran an aircraft carrier intelligence center.
The computer was a 30 bit machine, with 32 K words of core memory.  Sperry Univac 642B:

http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/X184.83

  It had an 8 mhz clock so ran (at most) 256 K instructions per second.  And it was the size of a
huge refrigerator.  Designed in 1958, it contained no ICs (there were no ICs back then) but it did
use transistors.  We were trained to trouble shoot down to the gate level using schematics and an
o'scope.

IIRC, the disks were 8 platter packs, each platter the diameter of a large dinner plate, with around
20 mbytes.  Two of those in huge drawers, the entire thing was the size of two huge refrigerators.

The system drew maps for the pilot briefings using pen plotters.

The CRT system was the most fascinating of all.  It used a disk with fixed heads as the memory, and
read the data off of the disk and sent it directly to the CRT.  Write to the disk to change what was
displayed on the screen.  Character based only as I remember.

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it

On 3/30/2014 5:51 PM, Doug Murphy wrote:
> It is amazing the amount of computing power you can rent for a small amount of money.
>
> You were a few IBM generations after the first computer I learned on, IBM 1620, at my college. It took up a whole room, and had a heard of real geeks for it's care and feeding. They got really POed whey a card deck would put it into a loop;-)  Now I think you can get about the same amount of computing power in a cheap watch.

---