[AccessD] Should Business use Access?

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Tue May 6 09:10:29 CDT 2014

Ok, a couple of questions that may be of interest to others as well (you or
Arthur).   These are areas where I feel Access falls short or does really
well as a development tool:

1. Ability to use 3rd party DLL's and controls; are you limited to what is
natively provided?  If so, is what is native sufficient?  Was there anything
lacking that you wanted?

2. Can you call the windows API?

3. Does it compile into a standalone Exe or the equivalent.  In other words,
is it as sensitive as Access is to it's environment (I'm talking VBA and
broken references, bad Office install, etc)?

4. Do you have the ability to debug at runtime on the fly?

5. Is it possible to do a 3 tier design without resorting to another tool?

6. Do you as a developer, have full control over the all the windows it
presents.   With Access, you have good control of everything except the main
Access window.

7. Does it have the ability to connect to a wide range of data sources like
Access?   I.e. can I read an Excel spreadsheet directly as a table?
Import/Export data easily?

8. Does it support OLE automation?  Can I still send mail through Outlook?

  I think those would be all of the biggies for most of us.

  I don't see converting as a nuisance.  That's likely moving from any
product to any another product.  In my experience, data moves OK but just
about everything else never does.   It doesn't bother me either that it
doesn't use a database container, but certainly there is a loss of
convenience there.

Jim.