[AccessD] Access and Office 365 (SharePoint)

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri May 23 13:05:14 CDT 2014

 You summed it up very well.   I can't say too much because I'm under a NDA,
but anyone looking back over the previous couple of versions should realize
that development on the desktop side is done. Microsoft has made the web
it's focus and it's nothing but the web.

 Access 2010 was the last full featured desktop version for anyone used to
working with Access these past twenty years.

<< But the Access team is currently working on big changes (those were the
words) to improve the features of Access/SharePoint combined.>>

 Certainly they will because as you pointed out, that's where all the
resources will be spent, but I would not hold my breath on the "big"
changes.

 A Microsoft employee posted on a public blog a while back about Access and
suggested that Excel be used for reporting.  That suggests no report writer.
And looking at the current A2013 web app offering, all you have is basic
CRUD operations and everything looks the same.  Forms, controls, and events
are all very limited.

 The current recommendation for whatever a web app won't handle is to use a
desktop database and a "hybrid" approach to app development.

 I really wish that had just made the web side a separate product.  There's
so much confusion from users over the fact that "Access" is not in any way,
shape, or form "Access" when you take it to the web.  It's a totally
different animal and a totally different product.

Jim.