[AccessD] One Accdr (front end) for each User's PC or Share the Accdr file on the File Server

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 06:53:25 CDT 2014

Brad,

I'm sure others will chime in here, but Access isn't a server application.
That is, it isn't like, say, SQL Server that is built to provide software
services to multiple users and protect each from the others.

While an Access front end can work in that environment, the main advantage
to installing the front end on each PC is that it reduces network traffic
to just the back-end data being retrieved, rather than all forms, reports,
and program code, too.

Having front ends on each PC does, however, complicate things when it comes
to updating your app; but that's a well-known and solved issue.

What I'm not sure of is whether having 10 people open the same front end on
the network would mean that *all* of them crash if just one does...that's
something others here would know better than I. I've simply forgotten!

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI