[AccessD] Presenting data problem

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 12:30:00 CDT 2014

I'm back asking for more guidance on the simple animal tracking database
that I'm working on.

The animal info is all normalized and I have input forms -- everything's
fine. Now I'm adding tables and forms for tracking these animals when they
leave us. The term they use here is disposition -- so each disposition
record will have a link to the individual animal table, as a foreign key.

Each disposition record will have a few more records, such as date. Also,
each disposition record will have a description, which I've added as a
lookup table. A few of those require no further information, but some do.

If disposition is by death, there's a whole slew of possible choices --
options and some new more information. Did we use the remains, and if so
how? Did we send the carcass for a necropsy and if so, what were the
results. If the disposition is release into the wild, they want to track
where. If the disposition is relocation, they want to track the
institution. If sold, they want to track buyer and price.

To store all this additional information in the disposition table seriously
breaks normalization rules. I'm wondering about dumping everything beyond
the disposition table into a table -- I don't care about the blanks and
everything will link back to the disposition records -- all as one to many.
It seems like a reasonable plan, but I'd like opinions. Right now,
everything's normalized in its own option table, but that just seems
unnecessary.

I've been sitting on this for about a week. The initial disposition form is
no problem. I'm struggling with how to efficiently manage all these
possibilities. Subforms seemed like a good idea -- enabling them depending
on the disposition type, but geez... that's a lot of subforms. Option
controls will work in some cases too.

I don't need to display all the possible options on the same form at one
time. I'll only those that are required by each option. Additional forms --
popup style -- would certainly work, but in some cases, the popups will
have popups, which have popups. :) All of these will link back to the
original disposition record.

Thoughts?

Susan H.