[AccessD] Problem of a listbox's response on network... Part 1

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Thu Apr 9 20:22:47 CDT 2015

<<
Seriously, where is the final analysis on this? John C is saying DAO is
present at all times directing traffic, yet Jim is saying that ADO is
faster than DAO.

 No, the first is incorrect.  ADO does not run through DAO.  They are two
separate and distinct things.

 As for the second, for all but JET based DB's, ADO is usually faster. Part
of that is ADO was designed to talk to a multitude of data sources, so you
have a large amount of control over the cursor in regards to type, location,
etc.

But with a JET based data source, DAO is faster than ADO.  The reason for
that is what you'll find with ADO, your shoe horned into only a few "heavy
weight" cursor types as soon as you talk to a JET DB despite what you ask
for.

DAO is more tightly integrated with the JET dbEngine as a whole.  ADO has to
jump through some hoops to do things because it's a generic data lib and was
not specifically written to be used with JET, where as DAO was written only
for JET and a handful of ISAM data stores.

Jim.