[AccessD] MS Access 2010 or MS Access 2013 ??

Borge Hansen pcs.accessd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 03:38:11 CDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I have not been frequenting the forum for a while...
Good to see all the familiar names still here...

I did a quick search here on the forum about Access 2010 vs 2013, nothing
really came up

Question: Office 2013 or 2010?

The question is forced upon us with the sunsetting of MS Server 2003 and
Office 2003

I have a client with a MS Access 2003 app that have been ticking over since
year 2000 (yes, it was A97 then).
Last five years running on a MS 2003 Server in the cloud - RDP access.
Now they are forced to upgrade their Server with their Cloud Services
provider:
MS 2012 R2 Domain Controller and file server
MS 2012 R2 with IIS and SQL Server  (2012 Express to begin with)
MS 2012 R2 for remote desktops - six in all with Office 2010 32 bit!!
About US$10,000 for setting up
About US$1,000 per month for running this

I've recommended Office 2010 32 bit for their Word, Excel and Outlook
(Exchange server hosted elsewhere) and of course the MS Access app that we
have developed and are maintaining for them.

I have checked on our local virtual Windows 7 box that the current MS2003
Access app runs ok on MS Access 2010...  SQL Db backend and mdb for temp
files in the frontend. Home spun security.
I am so familiar with MSAccess 2003 - the ribbon is still something I have
to figure out how to incorporate into the UI if we go down that road. For
now we will stick with the old 2003 menu bespoke for the application.

What do you recommend 2010 or 2013 ??

/borge