[AccessD] A real puzzler

John W. Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 07:02:27 CDT 2015

The server has had this problem for years including when it was sitting
in my office.  It is now in a professional "hosting" company in Albany
NY, which SUPPOSEDLY has handled all of those power issues for me.  It
has been progressively worse over the years.

The memory has ECC and the motherboard can use it.
The power supply was my thought and I have replaced with a huge(er)
one.  Still could be it of course.  The fact that the system reboots
under NO LOAD is the puzzler there.  I would expect a PS problem to
surface under max load.  PLUS, in the most recent upgrade,  I have
DROPPED the number of disks in the system by moving from (16) 1 TB
drives to (8) 3 tb drives.  While the new drives use slightly more power
individually, as a whole it is significantly less.

In the course of upgrades I have replaced all disk drives and SSDs. THAT
was not a fun task as you can imagine.  I had to insert a second RAID
controller, add big drives, build out the volumes, and then detach and
move the SQL Server data files (and other stuff as well).  Then detach
the old drives and put on the shelf for awhile, while I tested the whole
system.  All of which did not affect the problem.
I have replaced the power supply with a bigger unit.  I have replaced
the motherboard.  Decided at the least I would have a spare.
Have run memory tests.

I moved the system into the server room in Albany NY (I live in NC) a
couple of years ago when I was working in Raleigh Durham and so, sadly,
I cannot just go into the server room and physically work on the
system.  The up side is that it is in a managed environment with AC /
Power / Internet all conditioned.

Perhaps I am fixated on and thus can't see past... the system will stay
up indefinitely as long as I am flogging the system.  When the system is
idle it will reboot several times a day.

I am pretty well convinced that there is some kind of software issue,
and that I should do a windows / SQL Server reinstall.  I am terrified
of doing that however because of the whole windows / SQL Server "user /
security" issue, which I do not fully understand.  I could end up with
databases that I can no longer access.

Not to mention that the server is a thousand miles away in a server
room, which makes physically visiting it problematic, and a reinstall
definitely requires physical access.  And I can't afford to just throw
in a second system (it is rather powerful and expensive) to do a clean
install on and migrate over to.  That is in fact the ultimate solution
but ... OMG the cost.

John W. Colby