[AccessD] I couldn't post

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 3 21:31:09 CST 2015

You are obviously having the worse experiences with it.

I tend to be lazy and use the terminal only when all else fails and mostly for speed. I tend to find Windows too dumbed down and unless your willing to go down to the command prompt network issues can be impossible to fix.

I must relate a story of a client that I helped a couple (three) of years ago. They had all Windows XP boxes but decided to experiment by setting a dozen by upgrading to Linux (in this case Ubuntu), to save money. It took only four hours, on a Saturday afternoon, to install a dozen new system, connect to all the printer, the network, the internet and install all the office software. A young lady there (24-25), who knew basically nothing about computers, helped me with the install.

I thought that I might be supporting them for years, one way of another, but it was not so. She just picked the ball up and ran with it. I understand the whole office (50 desktops) and all the servers are now running Linux and everything runs flawlessly. So with no computer system training or experience (thank God for Google), this young person did all this without any help from me and she just loves it. The truth is that she was young and didn't have to unlearn any bad habits.

I have had no problem with Linux but back in the day, I was a certified SCO Unix installer, so it was just like being back home again. This does not mean that I do not like Windows; it is just that the moment we step away from the desktop and move into the world of the internet, its a Linux universe out there.

Don't give up on Linux...it is hardly smarter than you are and I have found it to be great fun as it has all the latest and greatest technologies, first. As Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft say, "We love Linux."

Jim