[AccessD] Slow Running Access 2007 Application - Dumb Question

Dan Waters df.waters at outlook.com
Fri Jan 2 15:45:20 CST 2015

Hi Brad,

As a former mechanical engineer, I think I must disagree.  While his
statement about processors being damaged over time is generally true, when a
processor gets damaged to a certain point then it fails completely at once.
What your friend is describing is termed 'Graceful Failure', which I am
fairly sure does not happen with circuit boards so that a PC's apparent
speed becomes slower over time.

For example, a few years ago I, in the winter, walked across a carpet in my
sheepskin slippers, and then tried to turn on a tube TV by pushing the On
button on the TV itself.  As you can guess there was a spark - which killed
the tube (but not the audio).  The audio didn't fail at all, but the tube
failed at once.

Also, all those PC's probably have about the same usage on them, and would
be expected to have experienced the same voltage spikes and heat
environment.

My experience with PC slowdown is that it's usually caused by too many
applications running at once.  Some of those could be malware, or viruses,
or programs like 'Fix My PC!' which loads a ton of crap on your PC.  These
can sometimes be identified by looking at what apps are starting up - type
'msconfig' into the 'search programs and files' field when you push the
start button.  Look for the tab 'Startup' - compare what is listed in
Startup on your slow PC and on some of the others - I bet you'll find some
extra stuff on the slow one.

You can download free malware/virus detectors to scan your slow PC.
MalwareBytes comes to mind.

Good Luck!
Dan