[AccessD] ODBC Error

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 12:30:55 CST 2015

Access 2013 FE, SQL Server 2012 R2, ODBC Linked tables.  Machine Data source, System type, DRIVER=SQL Server Native Client 10.0, all 32 bit.
We wrap a series of insert/updates to 8 tables in a transaction from the FE and commit or rollback the transaction based on the records affected on the various inserts and updates.
A user reported an error message yet the final data appeared at the end of the procedure.  I shadowed his RDS session through some data errors in the form when all was said and done.  That was the background.
Using a bound form, the user attempted to set a value for a combo bound on a long ID (foreign key).  Any save of the record reported an ODBC error.  The value in the table view was the default value: 0.
I attempted the edit from table view in the database window and got an error when attempting to edit that field and a few other fields of type long in the newly inserted record and received the same error.  Other fields of text datatype and other numeric types were editable.  All other records were editable in all fields including those locked in the new record, but the new record would not accept edits to the long foreign keys I tried.  I was inputting foreign keys from adjacent records so data constraints were not a concern.
I was able to update the field without error via an update query on the server side in SQL Server Management Studio but several (perhaps all long) fields on the one record of the linked table remained not updateable.  I could type in the field from the linked table view in Access, but not move off the record without triggering an error.
The error from the table edit from access was a bit different from the form error but is the one I want to understand:
ODBC-update on a linked table 'tblProject' failed.[Microsoft]SQL Server Native Client 10.0[SQL Server]The incoming tabular data stream (TDS) remote procedure call (RPC) protocol stream is incorrect.  Parameter 2 (""): Data type 0x000 is unknown (#8009)
I suspect there were errors that weren't properly addressed inside the transaction and the update should not have been committed, but it was, and the table record with the locked field exists so it was inserted, hence committed, and not rolled back.  I'll address those issues easily enough if they aren't related to the locked fields.
I'm curious whether the transaction was messed up through the ODBC connection resulting in a lock until it timed out.
The error is what I would expect with a 64 bit numeric key, but appears to be a spurious record as all the other records I tired remained editable during the 30 odd minutes that the fields were locked.
Has anyone else encountered a problem like this?  Any insight into what is going on with this 30 minute lock out?
CiaoJürgen WelzEdmonton, Alberta