[AccessD] Ac2013 running out of resources

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Fri Jun 5 00:59:59 CDT 2015

In my experience Access is like a fat old guy going for a Jog.  It tries hard and sometime can surprise you with bursts of speed, endurance and agility, but other times it will get puffed out over nothing, give up and stop.

The most simple work-around I found was not to use mega queries ( or even simple queries with multiple joins seem to be a culprit here), rather building the final data set required via a series of helper queries (or even tables).  This approach would nearly always produce much better performance and less of a processing struggle for Access.  Also look at what you have indexed as well - that can make a big difference.

Keep in mind Access is poor at cleaning up after itself.  I have had simple queries push it over the 2GB limit whilst processing and it just sh!ts itself and stops.  Bloody stupid, but that is how it is.

As the datasets we are working with are getting larger and more complex, we are moving more and more of the grunt processing into SQL server - and only use Access for "the last mile" of processing when the data is usually significantly compacted.  SQL Server rarely gives up and will run until the gig is done.

Anyway...  Good luck. I can relate to your frustration and annoyance.

Darryl.