[AccessD] Calculated Fields

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Jun 15 21:33:11 CDT 2015

>From https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff945943%28v=office.14%29.aspx

"There are those who would argue that adding calculated fields in a table violates rules of
normalization, and in some cases, they are right. In some cases, it is worth breaking the
rules: If you know that you will need the calculation in every object based on the table, if you
know that the expression cannot change over time, or if having the calculation in the table
would make your data clearer, then use the feature. You can always, as in Access 2003 or
Access 2007, include calculations in queries, also. Doing so requires you to base all forms
and reports on the query, instead of on the table-end-users may miss this important point, so
if end-users are creating their own forms and reports, it is best to consider using calculated
fields in tables.

Be aware that calculated fields cannot call user-defined functions, only built-in functions. In
addition, you must supply all parameters for methods that you call, even if the parameters are
optional.

If you use calculated fields, be aware that earlier versions of Access will be unable to open
the table-verify that you will need the table only in Access 2010 before you use this new
feature."

--
Stuart