[AccessD] How to tell if a database has experienced any changes

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 13:32:19 CDT 2015

I recently wrote a database subprocedure which makes a backup of the
database (from disk) every so often, and then saves the database.

As I watch files plopping into my backups folder every so often, I can tell
that this routine could easily max out the hard disk if left running
unattended (or attended, but by an inattentive user).

Some safeguard is needed to insure that does not happen.

However I cannot think of a way to test whether the database is in a saved
or unsaved condition. I know that Ctrl-S saves the database, does reset any
kind of "Dirty" properties of any design-time or code objects such that I
can re-test them to see whether anything has changed? I am concerned much
more with object changes as a developer, not so much data.

I am trying to avoid a bunch of useless saves, so that I could be more
particular about what to delete from the backups folder, and not base the
decision just on file date or other ordinal position on disk.

Any equivalent to ThisWorkbook.Saved to test whether there have been any
bona fide changes in the database application (be that data or code).
Changes in the database would include
     changes to objects of any kind, including code changes
     changes to data without changing objects or dao structures.

Thanks for any leads.