[AccessD] Trying to open Access invisibly not working

ewaldt at gdls.com ewaldt at gdls.com
Tue Mar 3 11:40:36 CST 2015

I have written some code in Excel VBA that opens Access, creating a link
in Access to a sheet in the current workbook in Excel, has Access run some
a VBA procedure I've written there, and then closes Access. It all works
great except one thing: Access insists on showing its smiling face in the
process. Now I admit that it's doing the heavy lifting in this, but I
don't want my users to freak out when it shows up.

Here's the code that calls Access and closes it:

'-------------------
Dim accObj As Object, strFile As String

'Open Access and run subroutine
    strFile = ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\" & ActiveWorkbook.Name
    Set accObj = CreateObject("Access.Application")

    With accObj
        .Application.Visible = False            'This does nothing
        .OpenCurrentDatabase [This is where I put the full path to the
database]
        Application.ScreenUpdating = True
        Application.ScreenUpdating = False
        .Run "LinkCPL", strFile, "SourceData", "A1:B" & lngLastRow
        .CloseCurrentDatabase
    End With

    Set accObj = Nothing
'--------------------

>From what I've read, OpenCurrentDatabase opens Access in an Access window,
which is where the problem comes in. I tried minimizing Access from within
the code procedure (LinkCPL) by opening it with the following code from
Microsoft.com:
'-----------
        DoCmd.Minimize
        DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdAppMinimize
'-----------

It minimizes the database, but not the app! The background of the window
stays there. Since I have screen updating turned off in Excel during the
procedure, I thought maybe Access was actuallly minimizing and Excel was
failing to repaint, so I tossed the two ScreeUpdating statements into the
mix, but they did not help. I also tried "Application.Repaint" between
them, but VBA complains that it's not supported.

Sorry if this is too lengthy. I'd appreciate any help you could offer
here.

Tom Ewald
Mass Properties
General Dynamics Land Systems