[AccessD] Aquarium Life

John W. Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 13:18:49 CST 2015

That is an interface question of course.

Strategies:
1) Warn that the new fish doesn't work.
2) Indicate which fish the collision occurs with.
3) Prevent a save if a collision exists.

4) Narrow down the available fish to be selected based on compatibility
with existing selections.

All strategies have pros and cons.

#1, #2 and #3 are really one strategy.

#4 just works in terms of always selecting only matching fish. However
it doesn't help in seeing WHY some other fish I want has disappeared, or
which fish, if deleted, would bring back the one I want.  If #4 is
selected then some method of seeing collisions with other fish is necessary.

It would be really nice to do something like color code the existing
records / fields based on the new selection.  I think that Access forms
allow this in some simple form.  Not sure whether the implementation
would fit the problem however.  If that could be implemented then a very
nice visual of mismatches could be seen.

The nice part is that for most of us, the actual number of different
AquariumFish (records) allowed will be pretty restricted, it's not like
we have to deal with thousands or even hundreds of already selected fish
(species).

This is a messy problem IMHO.  You do absolutely want to prevent
selecting fish that can't co-exist however.  Not a good idea to allow
selecting a fish that is gonna die in the current environment.

John W. Colby