[AccessD] Old Dog, New Tricks / To Visual Studio or Not

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Mar 6 12:05:44 CST 2015

Hi Brad

I also switched directly to C#. I think it was Shamil who guided me - could have been, anyway.

I studied some code samples in VB.NET but didn't like what I saw. So much, in fact, that I have never written a function or class in VB.NET.

Go to MVA and watch some intro courses. That will save you a lot of time and will get you on your feet. C# is a wonderful language and you can do so many things. I love the syntax and the extremely strong typing which saves you a lot of trouble. Also, the IntelliSense is outstanding - it is so well that is sometimes does half of the writing for you.
However, as Charlotte once pointed out - at a time where I didn't quite understand it - there is never one single "right" way to program a task. That makes you feel unsure on what you are doing until you get hold on it.

As for the community license, I believe you - on your own - can program what you may wish, including contract jobs as long as your own turnover is below the limit.

/gustav