[AccessD] Audit Trail Suggestions

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 11:59:35 CDT 2015

With all due respect, I have always lived by, and continue to survive by,
the simple maxim that anything the database *can *do, the database *should*
do. Given an Access BE, I realize that is not an immediate help, but it the
bigger picture it ought to provoke the question, "Why an Access BE, when
abundant free alternatives are available?"

Event-logging can and should be done in the BE The technology is all there
and you can tap into it at will; and speaking from experience, they can do
it better than I.

Two suggestions, therefore:

a) lose any and all Access BEs on all your projects, and replace them with
any one of SQL Express, MySQL, MariaDB or PostGres;

b) put all this logic into the SQL engine of your choice, but most
definitely keep it out of your FE! No single error in
database-implementation is more serious than this.

A.
​