[AccessD] SQL Formatter (Was How To Display an Image from a Pervasive Database table Via Access 2007)

Brad Marks bradm at blackforestltd.com
Mon May 11 16:26:32 CDT 2015

Jürgen,

Thanks for your post.  I have not run into very many people who work with Pervasive databases.

We have Sage's accounting system called Business Works.  This system works fairly well, but like many purchased packages, the canned reports and the built-in report-writer are not very good.  We therefore have used the Microsoft Access report engine to build a very nice "Inquiry System" which provides "on demand" reports for our users.

I still have not been able to figure out how to display images stored in the Pervasive Database via an Access Report or Form, however.

I put together a little query for the Pervasive table that holds the images.  When I run this query, I see "OLE Object" in the image field in each record.  The other fields, like the part number are shown properly.

This is not a serious problem, as our users can go through the "front door" and view the Part info and images via the Sage Business Works screens.  If I can figure out how to show images with Access, however, I could provide a better method for our users.

The other interesting thing is that when our users run one of the canned reports in Business Works, the report may take 1-2 minutes to run.  When they use the inquiry system that we built with Access, they can obtain the same info in less than 2 seconds (via ODBC).

Brad

PS.  We also have a purchased manufacturing system called DBA Manufacturing that uses a DBMS called Firebird.  We have had great success in pulling data from this database also with ODBC to feed Access-based reports.