[AccessD] Dropped records...Boatloads of them

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue May 26 17:31:46 CDT 2015

Yes -
Basic premise has to be that the system will fail to properly process actions on
any multi-access database, and especially a distributed one - where the update
(insert modify and delete) actions are apparently performed by programs running
on attached devices.

So that means fault tolerance with confirmation of actions on the data verified
after any change -
As in terminate the updating transaction connection (but not necessarily the
actual LAN/WAN connection) and then re-access the server store to validate the
update actually occurred.

On the basis that you should
Have an audit log.
And a re-do updates facility to bring a backup save up-to-date.
Then it is probably easier to have update actions passed back to the BE/server
for that to action the updates, and then pass out a confirmation that the update
request entry has been:
Recorded on the redo store queue.
Recorded on the audit log.
And the update entry has been actioned. - as in from the B/E facility
"Coo-ee remote program":-  See, here is a re-extract (data, including the audit
detail and deleted status) from the new dataset.

UPS and hard-wired will reduce the frequency of problems - but you still need to
code for the possibility.
(Sort of like having your valuables in a vault - with guards and all sorts of
alarm systems - not truly effective unless the guards can actually - physically
check the vault, and somebody can get the police to turn up and check properly
when the alarms have gone off. See UK news re. Hatton Garden.)

JimB