[AccessD] mailto: in excel export of email address

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 03:22:39 CDT 2015

I know you wont take my advice, but really, automation of Excel combined
with copyfromrecordset or ead/writing arrays to ranges is very powerful and
flexible and takes your level of control to a whole new level. Many times
output needs formatting, breaking up into tabs, etc.

Another HUGE benefit I got from this approach was that Access 2013 was
hogging memory and not releasing it (ie, impact accumulative throughout
session, until shut down) whilst using DoCmd.OutputReport. I found that
sending a massive amount of data to Excel via automation, and continuing to
process the data through the automation brought only a few mb of RAM use
accretion, whereas outputting smaller queries in a loop outputting a batch
of reports blew up memory really fast.

I would be surprised if TransferSpreadsheet were quite as naughty as
OutputReport... but it hypothetically could be so.

For a die hard Excel developer who turns to Access just to retrieve data,
my first choice is to use Access as a backend, my second choice is to let
Access automate Excel, and my third choice would be to let Access pump data
to Excel in an unmonitored and unmanaged way, like TransferSpreadsheet,
which I would not be at all surprised is loaded with gotchas.

YMMV.