[AccessD] Status of www.databaseadvisors.com

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 18:29:16 CDT 2016

OK I contacted Jim Lawrence our webmaster for an explanation of what
is going on.  Here is his reply....

Hi Gary:

The old Database Advisor and its IP address is not attached. I believe
we still own the DNS but there is no site to receive it. There is a
complete working copy of the site at:

http://dba.creativesystemdesigns.com/

If members agree, I will redirect the site's DNS to its current
location. I probably could do this quickly but I will not do it until
there is conscientious by the executive...as it is loosely described.

Aside: The original databaseadvisors.com site, because it was using
classic ASP, had to run on a Windows server using IIS. The DBA site
has been reset so it runs fine on a Linux/PHP site ...the same as our
mail server does....so in theory we could use our mail server to run
the DBA website. It just requires installing. Bryan is the man for
that job but I would not bother him as his life has taken a lot of
turns in the last couple of years and he is still on an extended
holiday. Maybe when he settles this subject could be broached.

Access to mail lists is still working directly through:

...which can also be reached indirectly via:
http://dba.creativesystemdesigns.com/

Note that the databaseadvisors web site is currently run through one
of my servers and I do not have high speed broadband. In addition, I
have been doing many things on the network and sometimes an upgrade
may have the site down for a few hours. ;-)

In summary, if I am allowed to have full access to our DNS and MAIL
hosting sites, it would be possible to get everything working as
previously at no extra expense. OTOH, if we are interested in having
our WEB and MAIL hosted on a Cloud, DigitalOcean for example. That
could be done for $5.00 per month...considering our current data
requirements...it may even be a savings, if our old MAIL server could
be retired.

I hope this gives you a bit to think about and options available.

If you have any more questions of comments please email of call me at
your nearest convenience.