[AccessD] Entering an ISO date with input mask and fullvalidation

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 09:19:48 CST 2016

As a holiday yes.

Susan H.

You don't say "the fourth of July"?

John

-----Original Message-----
From: AccessD [mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of
Susan Harkins
Sent: 14 January 2016 14:45
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Entering an ISO date with input mask and
fullvalidation

But how do we speak these days? In the US, we "say" January fifth, 2016. We
don't say, 2016, January 5 or the fifth day of January 2016. So, why would
we write it any differently? Does any culture speak the year first?

Why is the year first more easily understood? Only because someone likes it
that way -- there's no inherent property that makes it this way.

Susan H.

Actually, what doesn't make sense is the mm-dd-yyyy layout. When you see
01-05-2016 you can't be sure if it's 5th Jan or 1st May that the rest of the
world would assume.

yyyy-mm-dd will be understood the world over and I, for one, would like it
universally adopted.  Even countries that do not normally use the calendar
based on some event around 2000 years ago will still understand.

---

Peter