[AccessD] Video Rental DB

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jul 2 08:30:50 CDT 2016

I was learnt -  by experience:
You need to be able to show enough consideration of legal needs to the 'gvmnt'
people who call on you - that they will accept you are trying to be open and
honest.
You need to have records of problems - and identify the source of those problems
You need to identify, at an early stage, what, within your business is costing
you -
But remember that loss leaders, providing there is not too much loss, may be
worth presenting, but they have to bring in covering profits on other items sold
at the same time
Also they should not just get taken as freebies by your usual customers who
would have brought you profit anyhow, and will be annoyed at seeing others get
goodies they enabled you to give away.
So - if the "Disney goes Dallas" DVD brings in customers, who also hire/buy
other profitable stuff and you can get  "Disney goes Dallas" stickers in bulk &
cheap - well maybe that's something to consider as a freebie for customers
taking 5 other - profitable items.

My lernt viewpoint - if you are going to put effort into a computer system -
then have the basic infrastructure within the facility -
And just because it can record 'stuff' you don't have to actually have the front
end to require that 'stuff' be entered
Access being a good vehicle for prototyping - and form design - although you may
want to look at a facility designed for creating web based applications.

Also - maybe consider a process to put data into Excel for analysis - if you
load excel 'tables' with data from the Access datastore - you can manipulate it
using the excel functions, VBA - and even SQL

But - whatever - do, within the design and setup,  consider the systems openness
to corruption and loss of data caused by ongoing problem areas such as wireless
connection dropout.
A computer system is pointless if you cannot rely on the data being correct when
it's Analysed and summarised.

JimB