[AccessD] [dba-OT] Our first Winter Storm of the season!

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 27 12:58:47 CST 2016

That is very interesting.

Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Button" <jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk>
To: "Access Developers discussion and problem solving" <accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2016 5:13:08 AM
Subject: Re: [AccessD] [dba-OT] Our first Winter Storm of the season!

Basic process I use
At first frost
Cut all 'leaves' off - and cut any excessively curled or rotted edges from the
remnant of the old leaves that form the stem.
Idea is to not have parts of the plant that will rot too swiftly, or direct rain
or condensing moisture into the stem.

Now - wrap the step in about 2" of insulation - plant matter or rockwool
Don't want to hold moisture against the stem.
Loosely wrap that in plastic to keep rain etc. from soaking the insulation -
Now - for more protection - wrap that - without compressing it in a further
layer of material
The further layer is to get damp - or even wet, but not so that it slides down
the stem or compresses the inner layer
And then a reasonably robust  black plastic bag over the top  to stop rain
getting in to the stem or structure from the top.

Theory - the inner layer forms an air gap and the outer layer will freeze
stopping the immediate cold from penetrating to the stem
Sort of like a pond freezes on-top but not underneath.
The absence of light will slow down growth that occurs during the not so cold
periods
And the capping bag should be stretched by leaves when they do grow,
The tops of the new leaves in the bag may get frosted - but there should be some
new ones apparent when you take the bag off in the spring

Mostly, the intent is to protect the inner growing tip and developing leaves
from being frozen by snow, or rainwater assisted penetrating frosts.

And - re. rhizome and growth - I had a rhizome of a plant with a 120mm wide
stem,  grow a 'pup' horizontally under the slab and expanding to lift a 60 x
600x 900 path paving slab by a couple of inches.
Easy to deal with - apart from the slab weight - lift slab, spade off the end of
the rhizome life the pup and it's small amount of roots relay slab and put the
pup to be a 'present' for someone!

(In the 'temperate' South East of England - anything from Mediterranean summers
to  60mm rain in a day, or  -10°c and 3' of snow laying for a few months.- so
little expectation of 'fruit')

JimB