[AccessD] Basic Question (Probably) that I just don't know

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Thu Sep 22 09:30:55 CDT 2016

John,

  You don't mention exactly what the issue is that she is having.

  In short though, the .LDB file is used to keep track of users, and is used
by MSACCESS.EXE to place locks against a DB.   For this to work properly,
all users need full read, write, and delete privs for the directory where
the DB resides.  This is for both the FE and the BE in a split app.  Also on
the directory that holds the workgroup file.

  If Access (actually JET/ACE), can't create a .LDB file, then the DB is
opened exclusive despite any settings.

   There are other issues outside of that when sharing a DB.   Creating a
temp query or using a temp table.   If your sharing a DB and don't take into
account that multiple users are in there at one time (say sharing a single
FE), then you can still have problems even though the app is "split".

  That's why it's always best to split into a FE and BE and have each user
have their own copy of the FE.

Jim.