[AccessD] Basic Question (Probably) that I just don't know

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri Sep 23 13:39:18 CDT 2016

<<
1. Does Access still support replication?

 Starting with A2013, no.  A2010 was the last "full feature" version of
Access.  Replication was dropped along with ADP's.

<<
2. Why would a seasoned developer would choose an MDB or ACCDB back end
when so many actual database servers for free (SQL Express, MySQL, MariaDB,
PostGreSQL, SQLite... the list goes on),

 A seasoned developer probably would not.

 Only thing I could think of is if someone wanted to take advantage of
something in ACE which is not in any other DB (say the attachment data
type), which is being driven by a customer requirement.

 The other reasons might be data type incompatibility (i.e. the fun you can
have with floating point and bit fields), and last but not least, just ease
of use.   Even today, there is still a niche (now very small though) where a
ACE DB BE might make sense.  Someone with no real IT staff, small databases,
and small number of users.

 But more often that not, some other BE is the way to go as you say.

<<
One last thought: the port from an Access BE to a genuine server DB
facilitates the move to web/mobile apps, and that is a rapidly-increasing,
even dominant market segment. So Access developers have to be planning an
Exit Strategy, since it is quite clear that MS has little or no interest in
providing one.

 I can't say much on that front other than to say pay attention to what is
being asked for on Access user voice:

https://access.uservoice.com

 You'll find that what most are looking for is improvements in the desktop
and I think Microsoft is listening to that.  While some people are looking
for a web product, most seem to want enhancements in the desktop product.

 Web apps are certainly gaining ground, in many businesses it's still a more
traditional approach to applications for back office work.

Jim.