[AccessD] No more Access Web Apps on Office 365

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 2 23:37:35 CDT 2017

Back in the day, I wrote a web app, in place of a desktop app for a small office.

The program was meant to only run within their office. Their reasoning for doing this was they wanted to be able to leverage their older equipment, not have to pay licences for every one of their computers and be able to update everyone in the office instantly.

It was a difficult job at the time as not all browsers were created equal, input menus required so much custom code, no fancy tools and using the old ASP was hardly secure but we did have a MS SQL BE.

So unless this new app can be as easy to use as MS Access, desktop edition...virtually drag and drop...what advantages would it have over the new web interfaces? Given the latest developer preferences in designing applications, taken from last year's (2016), StackOverflow report, on the state of the industry, it would appear the train has left the station...some time ago.

All that said, I have downloaded the application, PowerApps but found I had to remote to a Windows10 computer as it wouldn't do so on my Linux laptop. I will then transfer the studio edition to another Linux box and test it there... I will let you know how it goes later this week once I have it up and running...or not. ;-)

Jim